About the Course
The Chippewa Golf Club is a 18 hole public golf course facility that was established in 1926. It is conveniently located in Curtice, Ohio just 10 minutes east of Toledo.
The course was designed by Mr. Harold Weber who was Toledo, Ohio’s first famous golfer and four time Ohio amateur champion.
Chippewa is a traditional design highlighted by tree lined fairways, small greens and strategically placed bunkers. Lush, watered fairways give way to finely manicured greens. Two winding creeks the Ayers and Crane Creeks, come into play on 15 of the 18 holes. A driving range with practice putting and chipping area is available. The Pro Shop is fully stocked and our banquet facility is a great setting for your next event.
History of the Course
In 1926, plans were made to build a new golf course on the former Taylor farm by a group of East Toledo business men. The golf course was named Chippewa Country Club, a name linked to Victoria Cadaract, a full blooded Chippewa Indian who lived in a log cabin on the property prior to her death in 1915. The course was designed by Harold Weber, a Toledoan and four time Ohio Amateur Champion.
The original club owners included William D. Freeman and K.E. Austin. The expense of building the golf course and clubhouse soon became greater than expected. The country was just pulling out of the recession and money was tight. Through the ensuing years financial challenges continued to burden the course and in 1938, the golf course had new owners, Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Schulz. They immediately changed the name to “The Chippewa Country Club”.
After a series of failed attempts to sell the course they found a buyer in 1947 and decided to sell the course to Ted and George Wakely. George became the head professional and Ted ran the clubhouse operations. They continued to improve the property and in 1950, George sold his half to Ted who operated the property until his death in 1959. His brother George decided to buy the golf course from his brother’s estate.
George decided to open up lots for homes along Williston Rd. which led to changes in the layout of the golf course. Two new greens for holes #2 and 18 were built. Two ponds were dug to be used as reservoirs for watering greens and fairways and when construction was completed the former front nine became the back. The only holes that retained their original hole numbers during the redesign were number 1, 10 and 11. The course record established under this course layout is 64, held jointly by Don Brown, Frank Sterns, Floyd Conrad, George Dopsloff, Dean Marsh, Dick Stein and Bruce Denno.
In 1990, the golf course was renamed Chippewa Golf Club, and in 2012, the course was lengthened.. The current course layout scoring record is 62, from the back tees held by Nathan Tabbert.